Specialist UK Tradesman Liability Insurance

Expert liability cover for tradesmen and contractors

What Is Tradesman Insurance?

Tradesman insurance provides specialist cover for sole traders and businesses in the building and construction industry. Policies are available for over 100 different trades providing public liability protection for legal costs and any associated compensation payments should you, or one of your employees, cause damage to property, or injury to a third party in connection with your business. 

Tradesman packages can also be extended to cover all of your specific requirements such as employers liability for injury to employees or sub-contractors, and loss or damage to tools or equipment.

Do I Need Tradesman Insurance?

If you have any employees you are required by law to purchase employers liability insurance or you can face a fine of up to £2,500 per day. Whilst tradesman public liability cover is not compulsory it should be regarded as essential for any manual trade, without it you will be personally liable for any accidents or others losses which may occur, putting your home or other assets at risk. 

If you sub-contract to a larger firm it is highly likely that you will be asked to provide proof of cover prior to commencement of any work or when tendering for a job. If cover is already in place it makes the whole process much smoother.

Compare Tradesman Insurance Quotes

Whether you are a one-man-band, partnership or limited company, buying cover is a breeze! Simply enter some quick details about your business and trade and our secure online system will compare quotes for tradesman cover from up to 10 of the UK’s leading liability insurers. 

You can buy your policy online and receive your insurance certificate and policy documents in minutes – quick, simple and affordable!

Need specialist
Insurance advice?

Speak to one of our Tradesman insurance experts, at a time that suits you...

or call us directly on

01200 309 516


  • Specialist cover for 100+ contracting trades from Builders, Plumbers, Plasters and Electricians to Cleaners & Roofers

  • Sole traders, partnerships, Limited Companies

  • Cover for full-time employees, subcontractors and temporary employees

  • Public Liability up to £5m Indemnity (higher limits on request)

  • Optional Employers Liability

  • Tools cover available including overnight theft from vehicles

  • Contractors all-risks extension

  • Own or hired-in plant and materials

  • Cover available for high risk trades, specialist jobs or high risk sites

  • Specialist policies for height work with no height limit restrictions

  • Legal Expenses and Personal Accident extensions

Why Insync for Tradesman

  • We compare prices and cover from leading tradesman insurers

  • Instant quotations - cover and policy documents in minutes

  • Flexible cover & monthly payments – just pay for the sections you need

  • Expert advice from liability insurance specialists

  • Personal – Digital servicing AND your own dedicated insurance professional

Tradesman Liability Claims Example

Whilst fixing new facia boards to a local property a builder drops his hammer which falls 10 metres onto a passer by causing a head injury.

The tradesman receives a claim for shock and injury as well as loss of earnings. Total claims estimates exceed £15k.

How Much Does Tradesman Insurance Cost?

Prices start from as little as £50 (plus insurance premium tax), but the specific cost of cover depends on a number of simple rating factors:

• The size of the business (number of people working manually or the turnover)
• The type of trade and/or split of work being carried out
• Required limit of indemnity
• Experience and any claims history

How Much Tradesman Liability Cover Do I Need?

There is no simple answer to how much cover you need and best advice is always to consider you individual circumstances, both in terms of the work you carry out and the premises you work at. Think about the maximum property damage you could cause as well as the risk to the public. 

If you are sub-contracting to another firm it is likely that they will specify a minimum level of cover required. Typically this will start from £2m for public liability, but can rise to £5m when working on larger projects or for the local authority.


What to do now...

Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd
9 Albany Park, Cabot Lane
Poole, Dorset BH17 7BX

t. 01200 309516
e. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

© Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd 2020 All rights reserved. Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority where our reference number is 766691. Our registered office is Midland House, 2 Poole Road, Bournemouth, Dorset BH2 5QY and we are registered in England under company number 08810662. Should you have cause to complain, and you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which can be contacted as follows: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR | Tel: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123 | www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk | Privacy Notice | Terms Of Business