Landlord Unoccupied Property Insurance

Expert vacant let property cover for Landlords

Specialist UK Landlords Unoccupied Property Insurance

Expert vacant let property cover for Landlords

What Is Landlords Unoccupied Property Insurance?

Landlords unoccupied property insurance provides specialist cover for landlords whilst their rental is unoccupied. Whilst standard let property cover will provide an element of cover to allow for occupancy between tenants, this is typically restricted to a 30 or 60 day period. 

Beyond this bespoke vacant property cover should be arranged, which will also cater for properties awaiting sale or undergoing renovation.

Landlords Unoccupied Insurance – What Do I Need?

As with standard buy-to-let property cover, the core element of protection is for the building itself providing indemnity to reinstate the property to its current condition following an insured loss such as a fire claim. 

Depending on your specific circumstances insurers may look to restrict cover to Fire Lightning Explosion and Aircraft (FLEA), however this may be negotiable. As well as buildings, cover can be extended to include property owners liability and legal expenses cover.

Compare Vacant Property Insurance

Insync has access to a select panel of the UK’s leading unoccupied property insurers, our dedicated property insurance advisors will take the time to understand your specific risks, helping you find the right level of cover at the right price.

Unoccupied Property Extended Covers

In addition to your core buildings protection, you may also require cover for any landlords’ contents left at the property. 

Whilst it may not seem obvious, property owners liability is also a critical cover extension for vacant premises – you may be surprised to learn that should a trespasser suffer injury you could still be held legally liable!

Need specialist
Unoccupied Property
Insurance advice?

Speak to one of our Unoccupied Property insurance experts at a time that suits you...

or call us directly on

01200 309 516


  • Specialist cover for medium or long-term unoccupied properties

  • Commercial or residential vacant properties

  • Recently purchased property or vacant awaiting sale

  • Unoccupied property awaiting or undergoing renovation

  • Non-standard construction or damaged properties

  • Landlords contents

  • Legal liabilities as a landlord (Property Owners Liability)

  • Legal Expenses cover


  • We compare prices and landlords unoccupied property insurance cover from panel of 5+ leading insurers

  • Instant quotations - cover and policy documents in minutes

  • Flexible cover & monthly payments – just pay for the sections you need

  • Personal – Digital servicing AND your own dedicated insurance professional

Unoccupied Claims Example

The landlords unoccupied detached property suffered a fire following a suspected arson attack, by the time the fire service arrived the fire had spread across both floors of the house. Total reinstatement cost of the fire and smoke damaged exceeded £75,000.

How Much Does Unoccupied Landlord Insurance Cost?

Each vacant property quotation is individually rated depending on the rebuilding sum insured and the specific circumstances in terms of why the property unoccupied. 

The location (post-code), construction and current condition of the property will also influence an insurers pricing.

How Much Should I Insure My Property For?

The buildings sum insured should reflect the rebuilding / reinstatement cost rather than the purchase price or estimate value of the property. Unoccupied properties, particularly those undergoing renovation, can be notoriously difficult to accurately calculate the correct sum insured. 

If the property is subject to a mortgage, the lender will insist on a valuation survey, part of which will highlight the rebuilding sum insured for insurance purposes. However, don’t forget to add the cost of completed works post the survey if you are adding kitchens, bathrooms or other improvements. 

Best advice is to always seek a professional valuation from a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) qualified expert.

What to do now...

Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd
9 Albany Park, Cabot Lane
Poole, Dorset BH17 7BX

t. 01200 309516
e. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

© Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd 2021 All rights reserved. Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority where our reference number is 766691. Our registered office is 7th Floor, Corn Exchange, 55 Mark Lane, London, EC3R 7NE and we are registered in England under company number 08810662. Should you have cause to complain, and you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which can be contacted as follows: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR | Tel: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123 | | Privacy Notice | Terms Of Business