Specialist UK Home Based Business Insurance

Expert cover for work from home businesses

Compare Home Based Business Insurance Quotes

The government estimate that there are 2.9 million businesses operating from home in the UK. If you’re one of them – well done for escaping the rat race! However, one element that’s often forgotten is business insurance cover and that’s where we come in! 

Our team of expert advisors will help you understand your specific risks and compare home based business insurance quotes from up to 10 of the UK’s leading insurers so that you can find the right cover at a price that won’t break the bank.

Does a Home Based Business Need Insurance?

This is a common question and the short answer is normally yes, but it very much depends on what your business is doing.

If you work from a home office, chances are you will have business contents (desk, chair etc.) computer equipment and even stock, which will need to be protected against perils such as fire, flood or theft. 

If your business employees staff, whether they are based at your home or working remotely, then you are legally required to arrange employers liability insurance which provides cover for claims received from employees for injury or illness as a result of their employment. A common claim for homeworkers is repetitive strain injury (RSI) as a result of using unsuitable equipment. 

In addition, if your travel from home to client premises, or if you have any visitors to your home you should consider public liability insurance cover – legal liability for injury to clients or members of the public such as slips, trips or falls.

Need specialist Home Based Business Insurance advice?

Speak to one of our insurance experts at a time that suits you...

or call us directly on

0330 124 0730


  • Specialist cover from a single desk to purpose built garden offices

  • Public Liability Insurance cover at home and whilst you visit clients

  • Sole traders, Partnerships, LLP’s & Limited Companies

  • Cover available for all types of home based businesses including manual work

  • Non-standard construction and high risk trades

  • Business / Office Contents, Computers, Stock

  • Laptop, tablet, mobile phone or specialist equipment away from the office

  • Stock or goods in transit & money cover options

  • Business Interruption (loss of fee income)

  • Public Liability and Products Liability

  • Optional Employers Liability for any employees

  • Legal Expenses, Business Travel and Personal Accident options

  • Professional Indemnity Insurance & Cyber cover extensions

Why Insync for Working From Home

  • We compare prices and home office and business cover from our panel of leading insurers

  • Instant quotations - cover and policy documents in minutes

  • Flexible cover & monthly payments – just pay for the sections you need

  • Expert advice from liability insurance specialists

  • Personal – Digital servicing AND your own dedicated insurance professional

Home Office Claims Example

Client operating an online marketing business from a purpose built garden office. Following freak storms the local river burst it’s bank and the clients garden was totally flooded destroying £5,000 worth of computer and office equipment. 

Fortunately, in addition to the office equipment protection, the client had also arranged business interruption cover which included “increased cost of working” which funded her to temporary setup in a nearby serviced office until until repairs were completed.

Does My Home Insurance Cover Working From Home?

Some standard home insurance policies will provide cover from a small element of office or business contents. However, this is often quite limited and generally intended for occasionally homeworkers. 

Home insurance will not extend to other perils such as public liability, employers liability or business interruption cover. If you operating a genuine business from home then best advice is to purchase specialist working from home insurance.

What Insurance Cover Will I Need if I am an Online Internet Trader Working From Home?

According to research from DL4B an estimated 8 million people in the UK run an internet or online business from home. Alongside standard cover for computer and business equipment, an eBay or Amazon seller may also require cover for stock and materials such as packaging. 

However, probably the most critical area of cover is Products Liability Insurance. Should a buyer or other third party suffer injury as a result of the goods you have supplied they may seek financial compensation from you as the seller. Without adequate products liability cover you would be personally liable for any losses, which could run into tens of thousands of pounds. 

When purchasing products liability cover you should also check that cover does not exclude goods supplied from the far east if this is applicable to your business.


Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd
9 Albany Park, Cabot Lane
Poole, Dorset BH17 7BX

t. 0330 124 0730
e. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

© Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd 2020 All rights reserved. Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority where our reference number is 766691. Our registered office is Midland House, 2 Poole Road, Bournemouth, Dorset BH2 5QY and we are registered in England under company number 08810662. Should you have cause to complain, and you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which can be contacted as follows: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR | Tel: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123 | www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk | Privacy Notice | Terms Of Business