Professional Indemnity Insurance

Specialist professional indemnity cover for thousands of professions including Consultants and Contractors to Surveyors, Architects and Accountants.

What Is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Professional Indemnity Insurance, sometimes known as Professional Liability Insurance, provides financial protection following a compensation claim for professional negligence. Find peace of mind from the risk of legal fees and compensation payouts with a robust Professional Indemnity policy with Insync.

Professional Indemnity applies in situations where you have been engaged as an expert in your field, therefore giving you a heightened duty of care to your clients, and they feel that you have breached that duty of care. Professional indemnity is not to be confused with Public Liability insurance which provides cover for claims of third party personal injury or property damage as a result of your business activities.

A Professional Indemnity Insurance policy will protect you and your business against the cost of rectifying a mistake, including any associated legal fees and compensation costs.

Do I Need Professional Indemnity Insurance?

While, for most professions, Professional Indemnity cover is not a legal requirement, if you provide professional services, designs, advice, handle client data or intellectual property, you should consider Professional Indemnity Insurance.

Without adequate insurance cover, you could be putting both your business and potentially your home or other personal assets, at risk in the event of a claim. Legal costs and compensation payouts can rack up a hefty bill, particularly in professional indemnity claims where often the stakes are high. A professional indemnity policy is a quick and easy way to protect your business from financial loss and reputational damage.

In many cases, your business is likely to be asked by a client, regulator or professional body to have a specific minimum level of indemnity before any work commences. In this case, not having sufficient cover in place as standard can hold up or lose your business a quality contract.

Speak to an insurance broker about the kind of work you carry out and calculate the cost of your worst-case scenario of what could go wrong.

Need specialist
Professional Indemnity
Insurance advice?

Speak to one of our Professional Indemnity insurance experts, at a time that suits you...

or call us directly on

01200 309 516


  • Specialist cover for all types of Professional trades and consultants

  • Full civil liability cover including negligence, copyright infringement, employee dishonesty

  • Industry Association approved wordings including ICAEW, ICAI, ICAS, RICS, RIBA & RIAS

  • Sole traders, Partnerships, LLP’s & Limited Companies

  • Indemnity levels up to £10m+

  • Option to cover past work (Retroactive cover)

  • Office Insurance / Home office cover options for Contents, Computers etc

  • Laptop, tablet, mobile phone or specialist equipment away from the office

  • Option to include legal liabilities up to £25m Indemnity (Public Liability & Employers Liability)

  • Legal Expenses, Business Travel & Personal Accident options

  • Financial support for compensation payments and legal fees up to your level of indemnity

  • Optional Directors and Officers (D&O) Cover

Why Insync for Professional Indemnity

  • We compare prices and cover from our panel of leading insurers

  • Instant quotations - cover and policy documents in minutes

  • Flexible cover & monthly payments – just pay for the sections you need

  • Expert advice from professional indemnity insurance specialists

  • Personal – Digital servicing AND your own dedicated insurance professional

Types of Professional Indemnity claims

The types of claims that your business is at risk of will depend on the type of business you are running. In broad terms, your Professional Indemnity insurance will respond to claims such as:

  • Poor business advice - For instance, your professional advice results in financial losses for your client.
  • Faulty designs - A client deems something you have designed not fit for purpose, and the client seeks compensation.
  • Breach of confidentiality - For example, you share confidential or sensitive information without consent. You may also accidentally misplace a client's data.
  • Unintentional copyright infringement - This often applies to creatives and marketing consultants who have created something, whether it is branding, an advert, a musical composition like a jingle. Even if you have not completed the work personally, for instance, you run a marketing agency that has subcontracted a company to create a video advert for a client.

Is Professional Indemnity Insurance a legal requirement?

While Professional Indemnity is not a legal requirement for most professions, it is a requirement for many medical professionals working in the UK. In this case, it is known as Medical Indemnity or Medical Malpractice Insurance. Find out more here. Other professions such as Accountants, Solicitors, Architects, Surveyors, Financial Advisors and Insurance Brokers also have regulatory and/or professional body requirements in terms of holding professional indemnity and the minimum required cover limits.

Compare PI Insurance Quotes with Expert Advice

Insync provides the best of both worlds, instant tailored online professional indemnity insurance, supported by expert advice from our team of UK based Business Insurance advisors.

As our client, you get a dedicated Account Executive who will handle your policy throughout. Our team can compare professional indemnity insurance cover from several insurance providers to find you the right deal, and it doesn't stop there.

We can also compare a range of other business insurance policies for your package, including Public Liability Insurance, Business Interruption, Business Equipment and Employers' Liability insurance.

Who needs Professional Indemnity Insurance?

As we've said, any business owner who is providing professional advice should consider Professional Indemnity insurance. Areas, where you should expect you take out Professional Indemnity, include but are not limited to:

  • Financial services - financial advisers, accounts, brokers etc.
  • Other consultants - marketing, legal, management, recruitment, IT etc.
  • Medical professionals - also known as Medical Indemnity or Medical Malpractice in the medical field, this is often a legal requirement for medical practitioners. You can find more information about Medical Indemnity here
  • Creatives - Architects, product designers, graphic designers, photographers etc.

Professional Indemnity Claims Example

You are providing professional advice to a client concerning their exciting new product launch. One of your team accidentally attaches a copy of the product spec to another clients' documentation which finds its way to the trade press!

Your client is livid and decides to take legal action. Their company is claiming £100,000 in compensation in addition to considerable costs and expenses relating to their launch event.

How Much Does Professional Indemnity Cost?

Professional Indemnity insurance premiums are based on your individual activities. Key rating factors for insurers include:

• Your profession and type of advice provided
• Limit of Indemnity required
• Annual fee income
• Size of your contract and clients you work for

Our team can compare prices of Professional Indemnity and other business insurance specifically for you over the phone.

Is Drivers Negligence Cover part of Professional Indemnity?

Drivers negligence insurance is an extension to a staff agency or recruitment consultants professional indemnity insurance policy. Drivers negligence provides cover for accidental damage caused to the hiring firms vehicle by the supplied Agency driver, the terms of which are typically set out in the supply agreement for the temporary driver. More information on Drivers Negligence Insurance can be found on our specific scheme page.

How Much Professional Indemnity Insurance Do I Need?

You know your business better than anyone, take some time thinking about the largest contract you undertake and the potential losses which could be incurred. Limits of indemnity can also be influenced by:

  • Current contractual requirements from your clients or local authority
  • Previous contractual obligations
  • Regulatory body minimum requirements

For example, you are a sole trader or small business working exclusively with other small businesses. You will probably find that you are safe on a lower level of indemnity than if you are working on large projects with a high financial risk that depends on your professional services.

With professional indemnity, you will also need to speak to your insurance broker about run-off cover. This is because professional indemnity cover is on a claims-made basis, which means it will only respond to claims made while the policy is active. Claims of professional negligence can sometimes take several years to surface. So, if you retire or close your business without run-off cover, you will find yourself uninsured if a negligence claim comes in many years later. Please speak to one of our team to determine what the right amount of run-off cover is that your business needs.

Compare prices of different levels of indemnity with our expert team over the phone.

Is Professional Indemnity tax deductible?

All business insurance is considered an allowable expense by HMRC. An allowable expense is defined as a running cost for your business that can be deducted from your taxable profit. This might include insurance, accountants, relevant training and more. Remember to keep your policy documents and receipts. Insync will email these to you when you set up your policy. You can find out more here.

What is retroactive cover?

Retroactive cover is a way of backdating your policy to cover you for past work your business has undertaken. Retroactive cover will only be valid as long as you are not aware of any potential claims when you take it out. For example, you cannot receive a claim of professional negligence and then take out retroactive cover. Similarly, if a particularly prominent issue arises and you preemptively take out retroactive cover before a claim comes in, this will also not be a valid claim.

What is a run-off policy?

As Professional Indemnity is written on a claims-made basis, you may need to purchase a run-off policy. Claims-made basis means that the insurance will only respond to claims that are both:

  • For work carried out during the policy period
  • Made during the policy period

Run-off cover applies to claims that may arise after you have retired and would be left otherwise uninsured. A run-off insurance premium will typically be lower than your premium while you were actively working. It will only apply to work carried out before the run-off cover starts and will not cover you for any work you take on outside of the original policy period. Your Account Executive will help to craft a suitable run off “Extended Reporting Period” (ERP), in advance of your retirement or business closure.

Can I pay monthly?

Most business insurance policies are arranged on an annual basis and professional indemnity is no different. However premium payment can be arranged via a single annual payment, or via credit/debit card, or on monthly instalments via direct debit if preferred.


What to do now...

Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd
9 Albany Park, Cabot Lane
Poole, Dorset BH17 7BX

t. 01200 309516
e. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

© Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd 2020 All rights reserved. Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority where our reference number is 766691. Our registered office is Midland House, 2 Poole Road, Bournemouth, Dorset BH2 5QY and we are registered in England under company number 08810662. Should you have cause to complain, and you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which can be contacted as follows: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR | Tel: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123 | | Privacy Notice | Terms Of Business