hairdresser with client fresh modern salon

There are lots of reasons you might want to become a self-employed hairdresser.

Maybe you’re newly qualified and want to start up your own business, or you are juggling family with work and want the freedom to set your own hours – whatever the reason, there are vital things that need to be established (particularly when it comes to your insurance.)

What qualifications do I need to get started?

If you are not yet qualified, that would be the place to start.

While you may be looking to start a career as a self-employed hairdresser, training in a salon can be a great way to get qualified.

Similarly, qualifications are available at many colleges. Most take National Vocational Qualifications and City and Guilds diplomas.

You will need to be adequately qualified to get insurance for treatments.

Where are you setting up shop?

Most self-employed hairdressers either rent a chair in a salon, work on the move visiting clients’ houses or work from their own homes.

If you’re looking to rent a chair in a salon, check out our blog about the 8 things you must know before renting a chair.

What about Insurance?

If you are working in someone else’s salon, you may be covered under their insurance as per your rental agreement.

However, this is not to be assumed and needs to be checked. Similarly, purchasing your own cover on top of this is advisable for you to work outside the salon should you need it.

What else might you need to insure?

Contents & Equipment

  • Treatments
  • Public Liability
  • Business Interruption
  • Employers’ Liability (if you take on any staff)
  • Cyber Liability

If you are operating your business from your home address, you also will need to make sure your home insurance extends to business use. This is important, for example, if there is a break-in and your equipment is stolen.

If you rely solely on your home insurance, you may find that this is not an insurable loss under your house insurance policy. It always pays to check.

Similar Posts